Saturday, April 12, 2008

4/12/08: 1 day until IMAZ

Cue Sheets
Here's the link again to follow online: http://www.ironmanlive.com/events/ironman/arizona/?show=all

Just click on "Track and Athlete" and enter Bib #2022 to follow me. You can also click on "Live video coverage" and they will have live video with commentary starting at 6:30 AM on Sunday and going to midnight. In the evening they will broadcast from the finish, so hopefully the video will catch me crossing the finish line. I'll try to remember to wave to the camera!

Below are my cue sheets for the day:
EXPECTED PACE (REALISTIC GOAL)
Probability = 85%
Split Time Clock Time Notes
Race start 7:00 AM
Swim 1 hr 20 min 8:20 AM 1:52/100 yd avg
T1 0 hr 10 min 8:30 AM
Bike 7 hr 30 min 4:00 PM 15 mph avg
T2 0 hr 10 min 4:10 PM
Run 6 hr 0 min 10:10 PM 13:44 min/mi avg
Finish 15 hr 10 min 10:10 PM

AGGRESIVE PACE (PIE IN SKY GOAL)
Probability = 5%
Split Time Clock Time Notes
Race start 7:00 AM
Swim 1 hr 15 min 8:15 AM 1:50/100 yd avg
T1 0 hr 5 min 8:20 AM
Bike 7 hr 0 min 3:20 PM 16 mph avg
T2 0 hr 10 min 3:30 PM
Run 5 hr 30 min 9:00 PM 12:30 min/mi avg
Finish 14 hr 00 min 9:00 PM

WHEELS FELL OFF PACE (JUST FINISH)
Probability = 10%
Split Time Clock Time Notes
Race start 7:00 AM
Swim 1 hr 47 min 8:47 AM 2:32/100 yd avg (last year's time)
T1 0 hr 13 min 9:00 AM
Bike 8 hr 30 min 5:30 PM 13.2 mph avg
T2 0 hr 10 min 5:40 PM
Run 6 hr 20 min 12:00 AM 14:30 min/mi avg
Finish 17 hr 0 min 12:00 AM

If Zac gets bored, maybe he'll upload race day pics to the blog.


Today's Summary
Last night I had a dream where I woke up on race day at 7 AM. None of my gear bags were packed, so I was rushing around trying to pack them all and get to the swim start. It felt horrible missing my race start. I remember seeing the clock say 7:15 and I said "The cutoff isn't until 9:20AM...I can still make it!" And then I woke up for real at 4:45 AM. Even with that I still got 10 hrs of sleep.
Today is gear drop-off day. I have to pack the official bags and drop off T1 and T2, along with my bike. Tomorrow I'll drop off SN and put my fluids on my bike.

I have a slight pain in my left ankle. Almost like I pulled a muscle there or something. I'm not too worried about it, as I'll still run on it. I'm thinking the shoe will help support it. I think it's normal to have mysterious aches and pains pop up just before the race.

Today is race prep day, so it will be pretty low key. Amazingly, I haven't gotten nervous yet. It will probably hit me tomorrow. I'm going to have dinner around 4PM, and probably skip the BT meet-up at the house at 5. I'll be winding down and getting into race mode then, and I know if I go I'll want to hang out and socialize too long. All the more reason to come back in November as a volunteer. I'll be able to be more social then. I'm planning to be in bed by 8 PM for a 3:30AM alarm.

Weather
Weather today is great with high in the 80's and a slight breeze. Predictions are showing 95F tomorrow with a 5-10 mph breeze. Everyone will feel it on the bike. If I have to, I'm planning on slowing down a bit to make sure I get all my hydration and nutrition in on the bike so that I'll be as strong as possible to finish the run.


More Pics
The voice of Ironman, Mike Riley, at the Athlete's dinner. He's the one that yells "You are an Ironman!" at the finish line.

Me and fellow internet axe murderers (Beginner Triathlete.com folks).



What can we cram into the saddle bag? 2 tubes, 2 patch kits, another CO2 cartridge (3 total on bike), tire irons, tweezers, and multi-tool.

Zac, the bike wrench.


The official race bags. This is what I do for all large races that require bags. I add bright polka dots to each bag so that it's easy for me to find mine in a pile of 2000 bags. I don't color the Dry Clothes Bag (green) as Zac will be taking that stuff for me at the race start. My pre-packed bags are next to the race bags, so it's easy to pack and transfer everything over. No searching and wondering if I included everything.

The advantage to being on the 2nd floor. We get a bit more secure mountain bike parking.

When triathletes invade hotel rooms.

Saddlebags on my tri bike.


Off to drop off the transition bags.



Staging area for the bags.


I forgot to take a pic of this on the first day...the IMAZ athlete bracelet that gets worn the entire weekend.



The bike racks are now full with 2000+ bikes. This is like the guess the jelly beans in the jar game, only guessing how much $$$ in bikes there is sitting in Tempe Beach Park right now. My guess is $4 million worth.

1 Comments:

At 5:46 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Elaine...
What can I say...YOU ROCK! Stay within yourself during the race. YOU ARE READY! See you at the aid station...you'll be awesome tomorrow! Go get your revenge.
Arrrrrrrrrr<--- Pirate noise
Jen and the Gang

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home