Saturday, April 26, 2008

Race day photos

Transition area at 5 AM.



Transition bags.
Checking my bag one last time.
The sun's not even up and I'm putting sunscreen on. Nothing else to do.
Sunrise! Finally!


Nacho Libre made an appearance. He did the entire swim with a wrestling mask on.

I'm bored. Let's get this show on the road!
Julie, me, & Tammy.
Time to get the wetsuit on.
My favorite TTG picture. Tammy (pointing to her snazzy laminated cue sheet), me, Susie, Julie.

Bobbing alien heads. This is just what fit in the shot. Multiply by 10.

That's me! Pink cap, bare arms, green stripes. I can't believe Zac found me in 2000 people.
I'm in the middle (you can barely see the green stripes).
More swimming.
Me again. Zac was taking these photos from up on top of the Mill Ave bridge.

Swimming past the Ford inflatable.
I'm in the middle with the bent bare arm.
Find Elaine!

Craig & Deb waiting for me to return from my 2.4 mile battlefest.

I made it! So glad the swim is over!
Dang! Slower than I had hoped but 20 min faster than last year.
Yeah you try finding people you know in a crowd while dizzy from 2.4 miles of swimming and blind because your glasses are in your bag 400 yards away.
On my way to T1.

In the middle again. I like this picture because of all the bikes. I beat all of those people out of the water! The bridge in the background is where Zac was taking the swim photos from.


Finally on my bike! See you in about 8 hours!

Coming in after the first loop (~40 miles into the bike).

I stick my knee out in corners. A habit leftover from motorcycle racing.
I could actually see my group in the crowd.
Julie as Elvis? I seem to find interesting photos on my camera after the race.
Coming in after the second bike loop (~mile 75 on the bike).
Note the empty bottle cage on the right! That was the fateful missing water bottle.

Still trying to smile. Starting the 3rd loop. At least others were out there with me this time.
Out of water!

Heh. Tammy and Julie getting their pirate eye patches on while Craig hangs out.
Best cheerleaders in AZ!

Coming in off the bike.



Oh boy, now I get to do a marathon!

Sun is going down.
My parents made it up for the run and the finish. (And Zac left the sunshade on the camera, hence the dark spot in these night pics).
The end of the 2nd loop of the run. Yeah, it's pretty bad at this point.
Somewhere on the 3rd loop just trying to finish.
I made it! The finisher's chute! You get broadcast onto the jumbo screen in the back.
After the finish line.
The finisher's medal.
High on Coke. That's the only thing I had to drink for the past 3 hours straight.
Me with my mom & dad.
Zac, me, dad, mom.

1 Comments:

At 10:51 AM , Anonymous Lucia said...

aWESOME STORY--i ACTUALLY TEARED UP FEW TIMES WHILE READING THIS!! Thanks for sharing such an emotional and personal story and congrats!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home