Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Training begins again for 2008

I'm starting to get everything together to begin training for IMAZ again, including this blog. I've re-painted it, re-named it, but left the 2007 history there. It's all part of the story.

I'm going into the training this time at a different place than where I was last year. I'm 10 lbs lighter than when I started last year's training. I've almost got my nutrition plan dialed-in after starting completely over with it. Last year's training was all about fear of the race and the distance. This year I'm not afraid of the race or the distance. This year's training is all about getting ready to attack the course, no matter what it throws at me. If there are 40 mph winds on the bike course again, then I will be prepared. I've already completed 2/3 of the race in horribly windy conditions, so completing the full race this time around should be more than doable. Last year was a dress rehersal, and I now know a bit more about what to expect to be successful this time around.

I've compared 3 different training plans: the 12 week Beginner Triathlete (BT) plan, the 20 week BT plan, and the 13 week Gale Bernhardt plan. After plotting each in EXCEL, I've selected the 20 week BT plan, but will only do 17 weeks of the plan. Last year I followed the 20 week plan and burned out trying to stay focused on it. The 17 weeks will hopefully help with that. I also couldn't start IM training 3 weeks ago due to other issues. So 17 weeks seems to be a good fit. However, most likely I'll bump up the long rides and long runs by a bit.

I'll be going into the training this year with much better base fitness than last year. I'm already able to run longer than the plan calls for, and I plan to do a few half marathons within the training. After all, the run portion of the IM is just 2 half marathons.

Each week I'm going to keep track of my compliance to the training plan to help keep me accountable. I'm going to try to keep the number of missed workouts to a minimum. Thankfully my BT blog keeps track of all of my distances and times against the training plan, so it will be easy to report that data here.

I should mention that they have introduced a second IMAZ race for November 2008, but I am signed up for the April 13, 2008 race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home